The tortilla remains a much-beloved food and the number of creative variations on how to serve it is practically endless. The one we’ll be taking a closer look at today offers just the right mix of veggies, mushrooms, spinach, and other ingredients to create a balanced meal that won’t take long to prepare and tastes great. Let’s begin with the ingredients.
- Four whole wheat tortillas (eight-inches)
- Pair of tablespoons of extra virgin oil (more may be necessary)
- Four ounces of room temperature soft goat cheese (chevre)
- Ten ounces of sliced and trimmed button mushrooms
- Four ounces of coarsely chopped baby spinach
- A small red onion cut into half-moon sliced thin shapes
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- A minced, large clove of garlic
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of smoked Spanish paprika
- A tablespoon of sherry vinegar
Use a large nonstick skillet to heat the oil using medium-high heat. Upon simmering, add the onion and mushrooms and then cook for about six minutes, making sure to stir occasionally. Once the mushrooms have begun to brown and the onion has become soft, stir the garlic in and cook it for about thirty seconds.
Add the pepper, salt, paprika, and vinegar and then the spinach, cooking for three minutes while stirring until these ingredients have begun to wilt. Move the mixture over to a bowl and cover it up so it stays warm. Make sure the skillet is clean before proceeding.
Using one half of the tortilla, spread the goat cheese over each one before distributing the mushroom mixture you set aside over the cheese. Fold the tortilla in half over the mixture to create a half-moon shape.
Use medium-high heat to warm the skillet after brushing it with some oil. Using a pair of quesadillas at a time, cook each side for a minute or two until they become golden-brown and the cheese has begun to melt. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and you’re ready to serve.
This update or recipe is provided by tortilla company Easy Foods Incorporated. Our wholesale tortillas products include corn tortillas, flour tortillas, tortilla chips, and wraps. For more information on our services or brands like Tacomex and Vedgee or private label tortillas, please call 305-928-1593. Our business hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday Eastern time and we are closed on weekends.