- Three tablespoons of olive oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Half of a large, finely chopped sweet yellow onion
- Shredded pico de gallo (tomatoes or lettuce will also work)
- Four cloves of minced, fresh garlic
- Half a cup of vegetables
- Half of a finely chopped green pepper
- Twelve corn tortillas
- Half of a finely chopped red pepper
- A teaspoon of salt
- A small, finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- A teaspoon of cumin powder
- A 28-ounce can of either spicy, fire-roasted, or plain diced tomatoes
- One heaping teaspoon of chili powder
- Four cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
For the chicken filling, saute the peppers, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in a large skillet for about five minutes until they’re softened. Add the diced tomatoes and then stir everything together. Follow by adding the cumin powder, chicken, and chili and then mix everything together well. Allow the mixture to simmer for about ten minutes and then add some salt. Place the filling aside for now.
For the tacos, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Also, make sure you have a paper towel-lined plate ready to allow the tortillas to drain. Test the oil by placing a small tortilla in it. If it starts to bubble, you’re ready to fry. Place one tortilla at a time in the oil, making sure to fry both sides for about ten seconds. Place the tortillas on the paper towel-lined plate and fold it in half, repeating the process for the rest of the tortillas. Fill each tortilla with a pair of heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture.
Sprinkle the tortillas/tacos with two teaspoons of cheese before sealing them with a toothpick. Cook the tacos in the skillet you used earlier, adding more oil if necessary. Cook them on medium-high heat until they become crispy on both sides. Once they’re ready, move the tacos over to a platter and add the lettuce, tomatoes, or the pico de gallo depending on what you chose. You can also add more cheese if you like.
This update or recipe is provided by tortilla company Easy Foods Incorporated. Our wholesale tortillas products include corn tortillas, flour tortillas, tortilla chips, and wraps. For more information on our services or brands like Tacomex and Vedgee or private label tortillas, please call 305-928-1593. Our business hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday Eastern time and we are closed on weekends.